Controversy Interrupts Lent Madness

PB with mug

Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church Katharine Jefferts Schori

A bitter controversy has interrupted the first day of the 2013 Saintly Smackdown. It has nothing to do with voter fraud or inappropriate trash talking or over-the-top snark (if that even exists). This has all been sparked by a mug. Or shall we say the lack thereof?

It seems that, while the self-appointed members of the Lent Madness Supreme Executive Committee have agreed to a seasonal détente, Tim has not yet received his 2013 mug. While everyone else who ordered one in a timely fashion is now waking up to vote while sipping coffee out of their fancy new Lent Madness mug, Tim has had to resort to last year’s edition. Or his Baltimore Ravens mug.

The Celebrity Bloggers all seem to have their mugs. In fact David Sibley’s even arrived in Brooklyn during a blizzard. The new mugs are also running rampant at the Episcopal Church Center in New York City where Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori has one as does Communications Director Anne Rudig and Public Affairs Officer Neva Rae Fox. And, no, they aren’t just passing the same one around for photo ops. They all have their very own Lent Madness 2013 mugs! (not sure how they tell them apart in the holy kitchenette but that’s not our problem).

Public Affairs Officer Neva Rae Fox is so dedicated to Lent Madness she's wearing purple nail polish.

Public Affairs Officer Neva Rae Fox is so dedicated to Lent Madness she’s wearing purple nail polish.

To add insult to penitential injury, Tim’s own curate at St. John’s in Hingham, Massachusetts, Anne Emry, has received hers. So far Mug Meister Scott has not commented on the budding controversy.

Protest groups have started picketing the Forward Movement global headquarters in Cincinnati chanting “Free Tim’s Mug!” They have been met with billowing clouds of incense and fire hoses full of holy water.

The Rev. Anne Emry drinking coffee in Tim's office out of her 2013 mug.

The Rev. Anne Emry drinking coffee in Tim’s office out of her 2013 mug.

While it’s not yet clear why Tim hasn’t received his mug, other than potential spite, you can order your own from the Lent Madness Store (aka Lentorium). It may not come with a money back guarantee but Scott and Tim personally guarantee that it improves the taste of any beverage (especially freshly roasted coffee from El Salvador). In the meantime, start writing protest songs or start a petition. Scott must be held accountable for this uncharitable act on the first day of Lent Madness 2013.

Anne Rudig

Communications Director Anne Rudig sporting lots of Lent Madness purple.

Breaking News! We just got word that Celebrity Blogger Chris Yaw has also not received his mug. This is obviously Scott’s retaliation for the only one associated with Lent Madness to have won an Emmy. Put simply: Monday Madness will never win an Emmy. Nominated perhaps, but it will never win one. And that burns Scott up.

Please enjoy your Lent Madness 2013 mug and pray without ceasing that Tim’s will arrive before Pentecost.

24 Comments to "Controversy Interrupts Lent Madness"

1. Lore Yao's Gravatar Lore Yao
    February 14, 2013 - 8:05 pm | Permalink

I have been trying to bring Lent madness global, folks, via Facebook. Please suggest other venues!! :)

2. Richard's Gravatar Richard
    February 14, 2013 - 8:18 pm | Permalink

I just love crazy people. Keep mugging it up!

3. Evelyn Lawyer's Gravatar Evelyn Lawyer
    February 14, 2013 - 8:22 pm | Permalink

I haven’t received mine yet either so when you FREE TIM’S MUG would you free mine as well. Thanks

4. February 14, 2013 - 8:24 pm | Permalink

That’s not good, Tim. I received my mug today and I live four hours NORTH of you.

5. Mary W's Gravatar Mary W
    February 14, 2013 - 8:31 pm | Permalink

You know what’s going to happen now. Everyone is going to send Tim a LM 2013 mug and he’s going to get thousands…nay MILLIONS! Hingham will be overflowing with LM mugs. And then a miracle will occur and those mugs will never run out of coffee (or tea for those more inclined to that), by the work of the Mary Magdalene.

Scott will, of course, be condemned to hell until he repents of his unholy tactics.

6. February 14, 2013 - 8:34 pm | Permalink

Oh, that’s all we need, more elitism in the Church…

7. Mary W's Gravatar Mary W
    February 14, 2013 - 8:34 pm | Permalink

BTW, has the spellchecker gone on strike to protest Tim’s lack of mug?

8. Patsy's Gravatar Patsy
    February 14, 2013 - 8:58 pm | Permalink

It is possible that Maple Anglican may receive an Emmy. Does Maple Anglican have his/her mug?

9. Greg Fry's Gravatar Greg Fry
    February 14, 2013 - 8:59 pm | Permalink

How dare they. HOW VERY DARE THEY!

10. Russ's Gravatar Russ
    February 14, 2013 - 9:20 pm | Permalink

By all means free Tim’s mug, but not for free!!

11. February 14, 2013 - 9:20 pm | Permalink

I, for one, am shocked and dismayed that I did not receive a 2013 mug. Did Tim write any of the Mary Magdalene posts? I think not!

12. Lynne's Gravatar Lynne
    February 14, 2013 - 9:57 pm | Permalink

It’s a sad day in Mug-ville for some…and a wonderful learning experience for others. Thanks for the fun that has hardly begun. And TBTG for your ministry and all the followers.

13. Aleathia (Dolores) Nicholson's Gravatar Aleathia (Dolores) Nicholson
    February 14, 2013 - 11:38 pm | Permalink

I will not be giving up my 2013 cup for Tim or anybody else. Christian charity doen’t go that far! Sorry…..and I got mine a few days ago…Sorry!

14. Livy's Gravatar Livy
    February 15, 2013 - 12:01 am | Permalink

I’m sorry…but Y’all are soooo bad!!! So BAD….Bless your hearts…..

15. Robert J. Van Dusen's Gravatar Robert J. Van Dusen
    February 15, 2013 - 4:45 am | Permalink

Your 2012 mug should continue to function quite well – unless you drop it. I would suggest, however, that to do the highest honor to that or any other mug, even the 2013 model, one should fill the cup to the brim with either Kona Coffee (100% or one of various blends), OR Waialua Coffee ! ! ! Treat yourself to a treat.

16. February 15, 2013 - 8:16 am | Permalink

I have not yet received my Lent Madness Bracket Poster. Any clue to its whereabouts?

17. Alec Clement's Gravatar Alec Clement
    February 15, 2013 - 8:24 am | Permalink

I am very sad to learn that in this august collection of personalties, someone gets mugged.

18. Peggy's Gravatar Peggy
    February 15, 2013 - 8:44 am | Permalink

Thanks, Tim. Out of the 42 orders we received this morning, a very large percentage of them are mugs.

• Peggy's Gravatar Peggy
      February 15, 2013 - 8:59 am | Permalink

Update on mug orders – approximately a gazillion.

19. Neva Rae Fox's Gravatar Neva Rae Fox
    February 15, 2013 - 10:25 am | Permalink

It’s my mug and I’m not sharing! The mug goes great with my purple nail polish and purple scarf

20. February 15, 2013 - 11:04 am | Permalink

Dear Tim, While I truly sympathize about the absence of a 2013 LM mug, may I suggest that you buy a cheese that would compliment your whine(ing).

21. JenniferThomasina's Gravatar JenniferThomasina
    February 15, 2013 - 11:23 am | Permalink

If it helps, Tim, please know that about two weeks ago I got a real nice letter from Scott in his Forward Movement context with Christmas greetings in it. I bet now that he’s finally cleared his Christmas mailing list he’ll be getting right on mailing your mug, and it will be arriving any day now!

22. Deacon Lisa's Gravatar Deacon Lisa
    February 15, 2013 - 3:13 pm | Permalink

This hardly seems fair. I even have my mug clear over on this end of the pond!That would be Guam. Please in the spirit of peace and love, make sure Tim gets his mug.

Comments are closed.