Amelia Bloomer vs. Philipp Melanchthon

Today in Lent Madness it’s a 19th century reformer taking on a 16th century Reformer (see what we did there?). It’s an intriguing matchup between  an educator on the forefront of the Women’s Rights movement and a theologian on the forefront of the Protestant Reformation. Who will advance to the Saintly Sixteen? That, dear friends, is up to you!

Yesterday, in what may well be considered the biggest upset thus far, Franz Jägerstätter narrowly took down Joan of Arc 52% to 48%. Ladies and gentlemen, we have an official Cinderella of the 2017 bracket — and rather than a glass slipper he’s wearing double umlauts.

Amelia Bloomer

Born to devout Presbyterian parents in 1818 in New York, Amelia Bloomer was taught by her mother at home and given basic instruction in a village school. Bloomer worked as a teacher and a governess. When she married, the vows omitted, at the bride’s declaration, the promise to obey her husband. She became an active member of Trinity Episcopal Church in Seneca Falls.

Bloomer’s passion was the issue of temperance—she recognized the damage alcohol abuse brought to communities and relationships. She attended the Women’s Rights Convention in Seneca Falls. While she initially rejected much of the platform from Seneca Falls, the seeds of equality were planted and nurtured by Bloomer’s faith and her community.

Realizing the power of newspapers, Bloomer began publishing The Lily in 1849, much to the mocking consternation of male journalists, who deemed her project a failure. But The Lily bloomed, providing a national platform to address women’s rights, temperance, women’s education, and double standards between women and men. The Lily’s coverage of a new fashion for women that allowed for movement and less restriction went viral; subscriptions for her paper doubled when more mainstream newspapers ran stories about the ensemble eventually called bloomers.

In her newspaper, Bloomer publicly countered arguments from clergy who used scripture to condemn women’s fashion. Well-versed in scripture, Bloomer wrote extensively about verse traditionally used to demean women. She recognized that women’s fashion issues were symptomatic of a larger issue—women were not seen as independent, capable citizens in the eyes of the government or the Church.

Amelia was a devoted Episcopalian, challenging clergy who opposed women’s rights. Her Christian faith was fuel for her commitment to moral and social change, and she continued to champion women’s rights, preaching that one day, God would “bring about the emancipation of women, and make her equal in the power and dominion that she was in the beginning.” She died in 1894; twenty-six years later, women won the right to vote.

Collect for Amelia Bloomer
O God, whose Spirit guides us into all truth and makes us free: Strengthen and sustain us as you did your servant Amelia. Give us vision and courage to stand against oppression and injustice and all that works against the glorious liberty to which you call all your children; through Jesus Christ our Savior, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

— Laurie Brock

Philipp Melanchthon

Edmund Hillary had Tenzing Norgay. Ginger had Fred. Joey had Monica and Chandler. And Martin Luther had Philipp Melanchthon.

In the shadow of Martin Luther was Philipp Melanchthon, who wrote some of the most important theological works of the Protestant movement. Melanchthon received a thorough classical education, studying philosophy, rhetoric, Greek, jurisprudence, and medicine. He was eligible for a master’s degree in 1512 but was denied the degree because he was only fifteen at the time. Four years later, he was finally awarded his master’s degree, and he began to study theology in earnest.

A year after Luther posted the 95 Theses, Melanchthon was invited to the university in Wittenberg, where he and Luther became fast friends and faithful collaborators. In 1521 Melanchthon published the first edition of Theological Commonplaces—the first systematic explanation of Reformation thought. Luther said of this work, “Next to Holy Scripture, there is no better book.” This text became the essential theological textbook for understanding the Reformation across Europe. It is possible that the comprehensive quality of this work is one reason that Luther never wrote his own systematic theology.

Melanchthon was part of the team that drafted the Augsburg Confession—the most widely accepted confessional document of the Lutheran tradition to this day. He also wrote The Apology of the Augsburg Confession, which is also considered a binding document for many Lutherans.

Not content with merely reforming the Church, Melanchthon also worked to improve education across Germany, writing a guide for elementary education that served as a model for schools across Germany. In addition, he provided guidance for the founding and renewal of several important universities.

Following Luther’s death, conflicts within the Reformation movement cast a shadow over Melanchthon’s work. On his deathbed, he wrote, “You shall be delivered from sins, and be freed from the acrimony and fury of theologians.” Following his death in 1560, Melanchthon was buried alongside Luther in Castle Church, Wittenberg.

Collect for Philipp Melanchthon
Almighty God, your Holy Spirit gives to one the word of knowledge, and to another the insight of wisdom, and to another the steadfastness of faith. We praise you for the gifts of grace you have imparted to your servant Philipp Melanchthon, and pray that by his teaching we may be led to a fuller knowledge of the truth we have seen in your Son Jesus, our Savior and Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

— David Hansen

Amelia Bloomer vs. Philipp Melanchthon

• Amelia Bloomer (74%, 5,315 Votes)
  • Philipp Melanchthon (26%, 1,846 Votes)

Total Voters: 7,161

Loading ... Loading ...

Amelia Bloomer—Benjamin F. Gue , Public domain via Wikimedia Commons
Phillipp Melanchthon—Lucas Cranach the Elder, Public domain via Wikimedia
Commons

242 Comments to "Amelia Bloomer vs. Philipp Melanchthon"

1. Thomas Stama's Gravatar Thomas Stama
    March 16, 2017 - 8:03 am | Permalink

Would like to see Miss Bloomer win the whole shebang.

• Holly's Gravatar Holly
      March 16, 2017 - 8:47 am | Permalink

YES! she’s the best Iowan on the bracket this year. Actually, she may be the best Iowan in Lent Madness ever.

• Freeman Gilbert's Gravatar Freeman Gilbert
        March 16, 2017 - 9:04 am | Permalink

How many Iowans have there been in Lent Madness? Does SEC have an anti-Iowa bias? I call for an investigation, and I’m still waiting to see their tax returns.

• Christina Joy Thom's Gravatar Christina Joy Thom
      March 16, 2017 - 12:11 pm | Permalink

Okay today we would have elected her Bishop. She was a lady ahead of her time. We stand on her shoulders.

• David Carver's Gravatar David Carver
      March 16, 2017 - 12:20 pm | Permalink

Yeah, same.

2. Michelle's Gravatar Michelle
    March 16, 2017 - 8:09 am | Permalink

I had to vote for Amelia this morning for her efforts for women’s equality including the bloomers.

3. Carolyn D. Mack's Gravatar Carolyn D. Mack
    March 16, 2017 - 8:12 am | Permalink

Wearing pants and not getting accused of witchcraft (unlike Joan). Thanks, Amanda!

4. March 16, 2017 - 8:15 am | Permalink

I can just imagine the male journalists snickering at “The Lily.” Amelia has my vote.

5. Anne Burton's Gravatar Anne Burton
    March 16, 2017 - 8:16 am | Permalink

Amelia. Nevertheless she persisted.

• Martha's Gravatar Martha
      March 16, 2017 - 8:32 am | Permalink

Love it…lets send this to matchup to Mitch and the Senate!!

• Kandy's Gravatar Kandy
      March 16, 2017 - 11:57 am | Permalink

Amen!

• Sandra Rode's Gravatar Sandra Rode
      March 16, 2017 - 2:25 pm | Permalink

Perfect, Anne. She did persist.
      Melanchthion got his due credit. She got laughs–recognition is overdue.

• Emily's Gravatar Emily
      March 16, 2017 - 5:28 pm | Permalink

PERSIST we must! Love Amelia and her boomers!

• March 16, 2017 - 6:00 pm | Permalink

She certainly did!

6. Ron Zemites's Gravatar Ron Zemites
    March 16, 2017 - 8:17 am | Permalink

While I completely appreciate Amelia’s works, I looked at this as a battle between social and theological issues. I lean more on the theological with my bracket choices. I felt Philipp won handily.

• Jenna's Gravatar Jenna
      March 16, 2017 - 9:11 am | Permalink

I agree, Ron. Was surprised by how few votes Philipp got!

• Emily Correll's Gravatar Emily Correll
        March 16, 2017 - 1:45 pm | Permalink

I added mine for Melancthon, and I am a feminist who studies women’s history.

• Maggie Proctor's Gravatar Maggie Proctor
      March 16, 2017 - 9:13 am | Permalink

It’s not over yet! No one has won handily at this time.

• Jean Middleton's Gravatar Jean Middleton
      March 16, 2017 - 10:13 am | Permalink

I believe it is a sign of the times.

• Wilma Hansen's Gravatar Wilma Hansen
        March 16, 2017 - 12:58 pm | Permalink

Right, that seems to be the voting pattern, with personal faith & actions speaking to us at this time of moral crisis, more than historically recognized figures.

• Robert's Gravatar Robert
      March 16, 2017 - 11:04 am | Permalink

I, too, have consistently tried to use theology (but not always!) as the primary point in deciding on my vote. Also thought he was close to being a sure bet.

• Wynne Osborne's Gravatar Wynne Osborne
      March 16, 2017 - 11:08 am | Permalink

I was impressed with Philip, but Amelia means a lot to modern women. She got my vote this time.

• Barbara Miles's Gravatar Barbara Miles
      March 16, 2017 - 12:08 pm | Permalink

Amelia was a theologian. She argued for the superiority and intent of the biblical theology of freedom and equality in Christ over the theology of privilege and oppression that was replete in the clerical class of her day and for much of history. Her arguments were Gospel-based and her actions were up there with any prophet’s.

• Emily's Gravatar Emily
        March 16, 2017 - 5:34 pm | Permalink

I agree that Amelia’s quest for equity is indeed biblical. I seem to lean more toward those who put their faith into action as well as the more contemporary figures.

• Story's Gravatar Story
      March 16, 2017 - 12:22 pm | Permalink

I had to vote for Amelia, if nothing else to send a message to the Supreme Executive Committee. I am still upset that less than a third of the saints on the bracket this year are women. We are not a minority! And if women are a minority in the world of saints, then we have a serious problem.

• David Carver's Gravatar David Carver
        March 16, 2017 - 5:25 pm | Permalink

I can get behind this. I voted for Amelia Bloomer too.

• Sally's Gravatar Sally
      March 16, 2017 - 1:01 pm | Permalink

Agree. I put more weight in theological studies.

• Linda Barnard's Gravatar Linda Barnard
      March 16, 2017 - 4:53 pm | Permalink

I agree: I put more weight in the theologians than in social issues although I did like David Oakerhater.

7. Johanne Hills's Gravatar Johanne Hills
    March 16, 2017 - 8:17 am | Permalink

KUdos to Ms Bloomer, like her style and contribution and I don’t mean the bloomers….but Philip is my main man for this round!

8. March 16, 2017 - 8:18 am | Permalink

Philipp Melanchthon is my vote.

9. Debbie Northern's Gravatar Debbie Northern
    March 16, 2017 - 8:19 am | Permalink

Voted for Amelia. I remember wearing bloomers under my hockey kilt! Now, women can wear pants and not be put to the stake!!

• Laura's Gravatar Laura
      March 16, 2017 - 1:10 pm | Permalink

When I hastily read your comment I missed “remember” but saw “Now” and could only wonder where you were and what would put you in bloomers and a hockey kilt on a Thursday morn! LOL

10. March 16, 2017 - 8:21 am | Permalink

How could I possibly not vote for Amelia Bloomer when my grandmother shocked New York by riding a bicycle astride in bloomers and my daughter Amelua was named in her honor?

11. Anna's Gravatar Anna
    March 16, 2017 - 8:24 am | Permalink

A very difficult decision for me. Both stead fast in their faith wrote to defend it against strong opposition. I guess I voted for Amelia because she worked alone whereas Philipp had Luther.

12. Ben's Gravatar Ben
    March 16, 2017 - 8:25 am | Permalink

My dad just votes for whoever wins in a fight.

13. Alice's Gravatar Alice
    March 16, 2017 - 8:27 am | Permalink

Don’t agree with the temperance part, but everything else is 100% Amelia. She got my vote.

• Mark in Dallas's Gravatar Mark in Dallas
      March 16, 2017 - 8:51 am | Permalink

My thoughts, exactly!

• March 16, 2017 - 4:20 pm | Permalink

Alice, temperance was a huge issue in the nineteenth century for working class women. Very often husband’s could only cash their paychecks in bars and saloons– and as a result, families sometimes saw none of the pay! This is why my great great grandmother Mary Jane Williams fought for temperance.

P.S.. I voted for Amelia. She persisted…

• March 16, 2017 - 11:00 pm | Permalink

On the other hand, however, the fact that the 19th c. temperance movement promoted abstinence (rather than moderate drinking) as the sole alternative to problem drinking was (IMHO) a factor in the development of the problematic binge drinking culture that exists in much of the English-speaking world today.

14. Harriet's Gravatar Harriet
    March 16, 2017 - 8:27 am | Permalink

Voted for Amelia. A woman before her time!

15. Rita Griffith's Gravatar Rita Griffith
    March 16, 2017 - 8:28 am | Permalink

In remembrance of those bloomers I wore under PE skirts on netball courts in the 70’s, I vote for Amelia. Also she was a journalist and a fighter for women’s equality. Go, Amelia!

• Pat's Gravatar Pat
      March 16, 2017 - 8:30 pm | Permalink

Yes! Bloomers were modest gym attire for the girls at Immaculata academy in 1959. We have come a long way.

16. Nora's Gravatar Nora
    March 16, 2017 - 8:30 am | Permalink

Bloomers for the win!

17. Stewart Wolfe's Gravatar Stewart Wolfe
    March 16, 2017 - 8:31 am | Permalink

I voted for Amelia because she, as a woman, had more to overcome than Philipp.

• Lucia Robinson's Gravatar Lucia Robinson
      March 16, 2017 - 1:17 pm | Permalink

That’s one of the major reasons I voted for Joan of Arc. Her mission was many times more difficult to fulfill than that of her double-umlautted competitor because she was a female, a young female, and a peasant in a world completely dominated by men and aristocrats.

18. Ntathu's Gravatar Ntathu
    March 16, 2017 - 8:33 am | Permalink

How did we evolve from bloomers to “shape wear”? The struggle continues.

19. Kate Cabot's Gravatar Kate Cabot
    March 16, 2017 - 8:34 am | Permalink

As the mother of a persistent young woman named Lily, I had to vote for Ms. Bloomer this morning!

• Elizabeth Coombs's Gravatar Elizabeth Coombs
      March 16, 2017 - 12:42 pm | Permalink

I was going to vote for Amelia anyway, but my crusading wünderkind is “Lisette,” the diminutive of lily. So I cast my vote for Amelia in honor of my 16-year-old daughter, already an independent thinker and a person of great power and dominion over her own course in life.

20. Becky's Gravatar Becky
    March 16, 2017 - 8:34 am | Permalink

Amelia all the way!!

21. Patricia White's Gravatar Patricia White
    March 16, 2017 - 8:38 am | Permalink

These tough matchups are continuing. Will SEC’s selective matchups become yet more insidious with each coming Lent?

• March 16, 2017 - 11:56 am | Permalink

Yes, this really was a tough one. Surely both deserve to be included. But it’s like comparing apples and oranges … or more like apples and turnips. There was an earlier comment that spoke of social vs theological, but even that distinction is not as straightforward as it seems because Amelia also tried (in a local way) to stand up to clergy who undermined women. The weight to tip the scale will have to be that Joan didn’t make it yesterday. [People vote in national elections for sillier reasons!]

22. Denise Evans's Gravatar Denise Evans
    March 16, 2017 - 8:44 am | Permalink

I’m sticking with ladies who wear pants…didn’t work out for me yesterday with Joan of Arc, but I know I’m right with Amelia!

23. JustMeJo's Gravatar JustMeJo
    March 16, 2017 - 8:44 am | Permalink

She was warned. She was given an explanation. And yet… She persevered!

• JustMeJo's Gravatar JustMeJo
      March 16, 2017 - 8:47 am | Permalink

And my Mother’s middle name was Amanda!

• March 16, 2017 - 9:07 am | Permalink

This is the second time Ms. Bloomer has been called Amanda…Is this Spellcheck doing it’s crazy thing again?

24. Patricia Dobro's Gravatar Patricia Dobro
    March 16, 2017 - 8:48 am | Permalink

I voted for Amelia. She was before her times with her newspaper and fashion and women’s rights issues. I didn’t know bloomers were named after her. I wore bloomers too. Amelia all the way!!

25. March 16, 2017 - 8:49 am | Permalink

One of the people who make me proud to be Episcopalian. Go for it, Amelia!

• Meg's Gravatar Meg
      March 16, 2017 - 9:55 am | Permalink

I agree. I’m Episcopal, and from upstate NY, and also saw the damage done by alcoholism.
      That convinced me.

26. Fran's Gravatar Fran
    March 16, 2017 - 8:55 am | Permalink

Where would we be without bloomers? Still wearing dresses, I’ll wager!!! (I bet Amelia is rolling her eyes at that statement!) Anyway…Here’s to Amelia and her bloomers!

• John Crittenden's Gravatar John Crittenden
      March 16, 2017 - 10:08 am | Permalink

You bet your bloomers, as the saying goes!
      Amelia Bedelia!
      My 3 daughters have benefitted more than you can imagine from this brilliant and strong willed woman.
      Designer (early acceptability), Architect (another ceiling) and lastly my NetJets pilot, just off on her first assignment this morning. The light of Christ breaks through in the lives of pioneers and reformers like these.

27. Beth's Gravatar Beth
    March 16, 2017 - 8:56 am | Permalink

Amelia for the win….. and I’m sensing a pattern with my voting this year, heavily leaning toward the champion of rights, perhaps in response to our political climate.

28. Jill's Gravatar Jill
    March 16, 2017 - 9:01 am | Permalink

My vote is for Amelia Bloomer! Without her, I’d be sniffing smelling salts on my fainting couch with a corset cinching my waist to 17 inches, lacking the oxygen to think clearly or perform any kind of meaningful task. God bless Amelia Bloomer and dress reform!

29. Viola Day Mullin's Gravatar Viola Day Mullin
    March 16, 2017 - 9:02 am | Permalink

Before I read the bios, I was going to vote for Philipp. However, when I started reading about Amelia’s issues with alcohol abuse and then how she fought for equal rights for women, I decided to vote for her. It was a difficult choice because great theologians have provided important foundations for our faith. I haven’t been consistent, I didn’t vote for Augustine of Hippo, but I did vote for Luther.

30. Victoria Goss's Gravatar Victoria Goss
    March 16, 2017 - 9:02 am | Permalink

I am truly stymied. Pants or education? Philip’s work on school curriculum and freedom from Catholic absolutism may just get my vote, but women’s rights and freedom? I am going to wait and pray on this one

31. Robyn's Gravatar Robyn
    March 16, 2017 - 9:02 am | Permalink

Amelia ROCKS! Sorry Phillip.

• pHil's Gravatar pHil
      March 16, 2017 - 2:35 pm | Permalink

Do you mean Philipp?

When apologizing, it is always important to pay attention to the person’s name, otherwise you have to do it again.

32. Sofie's Gravatar Sofie
    March 16, 2017 - 9:10 am | Permalink

Wow, Bloomer’s really taking the lead. I voted for her, too. I didn’t know about her career as a journalist, that’s awesome. Too bad that even though women got the vote in 1920, we’re still not earning the same money as men in the same jobs, and we’re still not treated as equal in many ways. Great to honor Bloomer in this way, and I’m glad to be inspired by her.
    Meanwhile, a good word for Melanchthon: He was the great-nephew of Hebraist and Christian kabbalist Johannes Reuchlin, and translated Hebrew into German. He resisted taking on the worst of Luther’s anti-semitic and anti-Jewish attitudes: “Although Melanchthon was influenced by Luther’s antisemitism, he avoided its cruder excesses and in 1539, at the Frankfurt religious assembly, publicly denounced the blood libel that had resulted in the martyrdom of 38 Brandenburg Jews in 1510.” Source: The Jewish Virtual Library, http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/melanchthon-schwarzerd-philipp-x00b0.

• Verdery Kassebaum's Gravatar Verdery Kassebaum
      March 16, 2017 - 11:42 am | Permalink

Thanks for that good news, Sofie.
      Still uncertain of my vote, though.

33. Timothy J's Gravatar Timothy J
    March 16, 2017 - 9:12 am | Permalink

Any theologians who end up with underwear named after themselves will always get my vote, especially a great reformer like Amelia!

• Deacon Di's Gravatar Deacon Di
      March 16, 2017 - 11:28 am | Permalink

You said it brother!

• Robert Coates's Gravatar Robert Coates
      March 16, 2017 - 10:11 pm | Permalink

Imagine if Calvin Klein became a theologian. Calvinism would never be the same.

• Rev. Steve's Gravatar Rev. Steve
        March 16, 2017 - 10:18 pm | Permalink

Robert, like your humor.

34. Leamarie's Gravatar Leamarie
    March 16, 2017 - 9:13 am | Permalink

Leading the struggle for women’s rights, speaking up against the effects of alcohol abuse, inventing bloomers….yes, Amelia B has my vote.

35. Deborah Giordano's Gravatar Deborah Giordano
    March 16, 2017 - 9:14 am | Permalink

All-in for Amelia Bloomer 19th C Reformer #WomensRights advocate Doesn’t create women’s clothing style reform known as bloomer,s but her name became associated w/ it due to her early, passionate advocacy!

36. March 16, 2017 - 9:17 am | Permalink

Voted for Amelia before I put on my Levis and went out for the day. Would have voted for her twice if allowed (I didn’t, I didn’t) as a female journalist who has put up with a lot in my day. Had one editor who said “educating women was like giving a monkey a knife.” Go Amelia!

37. Shan's Gravatar Shan
    March 16, 2017 - 9:18 am | Permalink

Amelia had me at omitting”obey” from her wedding vows!

• Jennifer's Gravatar Jennifer
      March 16, 2017 - 9:51 am | Permalink

Me too!

• Susan Maurine's Gravatar Susan Maurine
      March 16, 2017 - 10:39 am | Permalink

Yes, I did that, too! And today I’m celebrating my 32nd wedding anniversary!

• Pamela Payne's Gravatar Pamela Payne
        March 16, 2017 - 11:15 am | Permalink

Happy Anniversary, Susan! Blessings to you and your husband for many more.

• St. Celia's Gravatar St. Celia
        March 16, 2017 - 11:31 am | Permalink

Happy anniversary, Susan! Wishing you both many more.

• Shan's Gravatar Shan
        March 16, 2017 - 1:35 pm | Permalink

Happy Anniversary! So much better to respect than to obey!

38. Diane's Gravatar Diane
    March 16, 2017 - 9:18 am | Permalink

This was a hard one this morning because they both contributed so much. But I went with Amelia because we need strong women like her today–yet she persisted.

39. Phil Stoffan's Gravatar Phil Stoffan
    March 16, 2017 - 9:19 am | Permalink

Tough choice — women’s rights vs. the underpinning of a reform that I believe saved all of Christianity. I’ve got to go with my semi-namesake (the one with two “l”s )

40. Sister Mary Winifred's Gravatar Sister Mary Winifred
    March 16, 2017 - 9:19 am | Permalink

“. . . countered arguments from clergy. . .” – you go girl!

• Kate's Gravatar Kate
      March 16, 2017 - 9:33 am | Permalink

Phillip…. I love the underdog!

41. Sarah Pope's Gravatar Sarah Pope
    March 16, 2017 - 9:22 am | Permalink

Many thanks to Phillip for the foundational work he did, and because I have worked with gifted students,I feel his frustration at having to wait four years to have his Master’s work recognized, but Amanda is going to take it today, I think.

42. Diana's Gravatar Diana
    March 16, 2017 - 9:28 am | Permalink

For Amelia Bloomer and Philipp Melancthon
    Tune: Moscow, Hymnal ’82, 365 Come Thou Almighty King

‘Tis joy to sing your praise,
    God of amazing grace!
    For countless ways,
    You set your people free
    To live more joyously.
    And thanks especially
    For many saints.

Amelia was no fool!
    She saw beyond the rules
    Of gender wrong!
    Writing and speaking she
    Worked for equality.
    Through prayer and constancy
    Sang your true song.

Philipp’s strong, faithful mind
    Sought truth the wise can find.
    With Luther he
    Tried through theology
    To seek full verity;
    Tried with humility
    To keep your peace.

For all your saints through time,
    Through whom your glories chime,
    Our thanks are owed.
    And for Lent Madness we
    Give thanks and sing “WHOOPEEE!”
    It’s sure our cup of tea
    This season long.

• Anne Lyon's Gravatar Anne Lyon
      March 16, 2017 - 9:47 am | Permalink

Diana-you are really good at this! I look forward to your take through song each morning!

• Shan's Gravatar Shan
      March 16, 2017 - 9:47 am | Permalink

This is great- More hymns should have the word Whoopeee!

• Anne Langston's Gravatar Anne Langston
      March 16, 2017 - 9:47 am | Permalink

I love these hymns. You’re just so good at this! It would be so nice to have the whole collection in book form at some future date.

• Diana's Gravatar Diana
      March 16, 2017 - 10:07 am | Permalink

Thanks to all for the kind words about my hymns. Much credit must go to RhymeZone.com for rhymes, near rhymes, synonyms, etc. It’s a writer’s best friend in the search for the perfect word. I don’t think the hymns are worth publishing, though I appreciate those of you who have made the suggestion. I am, however, keeping them together and will send them to anyone who wants them after the Golden Halo has been bestowed.

• Rebecca Rea's Gravatar Rebecca Rea
        March 16, 2017 - 11:00 am | Permalink

I really hope the SEC will gather them together at lentmadness.org, with your permission, of course.

• Barbara MacRobie's Gravatar Barbara MacRobie
          March 16, 2017 - 1:02 pm | Permalink

Me too – I’d love to see these all collected at lentmadness.org! Thank you for these lovely works.

• Verdery Kassebaum's Gravatar Verdery Kassebaum
        March 16, 2017 - 11:45 am | Permalink

Count me in! Please remind us at the end of the madness.

• Barbara Miles's Gravatar Barbara Miles
        March 16, 2017 - 12:12 pm | Permalink

Yes please!!

• Carol's Gravatar Carol
        March 16, 2017 - 1:17 pm | Permalink

Yes please, if only for me to sing lustily while doing the dishes!

• Miriam Elizabeth's Gravatar Miriam Elizabeth
        March 16, 2017 - 8:41 pm | Permalink

Oh, indeed, they are wonderful! And always leave me with a smile. What a great way to engage the saints. Had to write a hymn in seminary and your work reminds me of that. Great fun! Thank you!

• Ntathu's Gravatar Ntathu
      March 16, 2017 - 1:31 pm | Permalink

Wow! I will be singing that first stanza for the rest of the day. What a gift. Thank you.

• Karen Mills's Gravatar Karen Mills
      March 16, 2017 - 4:33 pm | Permalink

You’ve done it again, Diana. Thanks for sharing. Hoping to see your rhyme and verse again tomorrow morning.

• Kim's Gravatar Kim
      March 16, 2017 - 7:57 pm | Permalink

Love singing along with these! 🙂

• Noelle Gehlhaart's Gravatar Noelle Gehlhaart
      March 16, 2017 - 10:26 pm | Permalink

BRAVO!!! Beautifully written poem!

43. Mary W.'s Gravatar Mary W.
    March 16, 2017 - 9:32 am | Permalink

As penance for not voting for Joan of Arc yesterday, I’m going with Bloomer!

44. Catherine's Gravatar Catherine
    March 16, 2017 - 9:33 am | Permalink

Martin Luther gets all the attention, but Melanchthon, working in his shadow, was incredibly important. He was, I suspect a more tolerant person as well (I just couldn’t bring myself to vote for Luther for that reason.) And his comment about theologians rings true for this academic. It is clear that Amelia Bloomer will win this match, and that’s fine since she is a wonderful role model as a woman of accomplishment, but I did want Philip to get some credit this time around.

45. Elizabeth Neeld's Gravatar Elizabeth Neeld
    March 16, 2017 - 9:33 am | Permalink

Would that Amelia from “that great cloud of witnesses” inspire all of us to stand for the rights of all who are not allowed their full rights.
    What a combination of faith and ACTION IN THE WORLD AGAINST HUGE ODDS she exemplifies.

46. DiAnne Walsh's Gravatar DiAnne Walsh
    March 16, 2017 - 9:33 am | Permalink

Amelia persisted.

47. Joan's Gravatar Joan
    March 16, 2017 - 9:34 am | Permalink

After a couple feet of snow I need some “bloomers” in my yard! Voting for Amelia today. If you have never been to Seneca Falls, the women’s rights museum is well worth the visit. social and theology make good friends

48. Rev. Steve's Gravatar Rev. Steve
    March 16, 2017 - 9:39 am | Permalink

Tough call, but I went with Bloomer because her parent were devout Presbyterians. As a minister in the PC(USA) I felt predestined to vote for her (at least in this round).

49. Jennifer Woods's Gravatar Jennifer Woods
    March 16, 2017 - 9:43 am | Permalink

I went back and forth a bit, simply because Bloomer was a temperance supporter. But in the end she did so much for women in her time, I had to vote for her.

50. Lou Florio's Gravatar Lou Florio
    March 16, 2017 - 9:44 am | Permalink

A modern female social reformer against a 16th century male theologian (probably unheard of by many) voted on by modern, most likely progressive Christians…who could have seen Melanchthon’s fall coming? (He’s in for a drubbing.) It kind of reminds me of the hits he took after trying to reconcile Lutherans and Reformed Christians. Perhaps not fair, but his legacy will survive. He’s not always adequately appreciated beyond Lutheran Christians but at least he had his day in Lent Madness. Congrats, Amelia.

51. Ellie's Gravatar Ellie
    March 16, 2017 - 9:44 am | Permalink

Too tough a choice. I’m voting for Melanchthon because he probably had to explain the spelling of his name often enough to test the best of saints, and to keep dear Amelia from getting too big for her britches. 🙂 I figure I’ll be voting for her next round anyway.

52. Tom McFarland's Gravatar Tom McFarland
    March 16, 2017 - 9:47 am | Permalink

Have to vote for Melanchthon since I have an ancestor with that as a first name. What the heck, he wore pants too!

53. Holly Green's Gravatar Holly Green
    March 16, 2017 - 9:51 am | Permalink

I am voting for the feminist!! I have worked in a male majority field , so I have walked in those shoes. Good on her for the Lily, and yay bloomers!!

54. Laura's Gravatar Laura
    March 16, 2017 - 9:56 am | Permalink

If Amelia wins it all, I can’t wait for her saintly swag! Here’s to women fighting the fight and keeping the faith!

55. March 16, 2017 - 9:59 am | Permalink

I had to vote for Amelia today after reading that “she understood women’s fashion issues were symptomatic of a larger issue—women were not seen as independent, capable citizens in the eyes of the government or the Church.” Something that still happens today, when you think about it, from school dress codes that target girls’ clothes almost exclusively so boys won’t be distracted, to asking what female victims of sexual assault were wearing, to the recent targeting of women wearing hijabs, and on and on.

56. Elaine Culver's Gravatar Elaine Culver
    March 16, 2017 - 10:00 am | Permalink

In the past few days another well known athlete has been reported as acting inappropriately with a woman. Wealth, fame, and gender are not excuses for this sort of thing. “Will you strive for justice among all people and respect the dignity of every human being?” our Baptismal Covenant asks us, and we respond, “I will, with God’s help” (BCP 305). Amelia Bloomer stood up for this standard of behavior, and she gets my vote today.

• Ntathu's Gravatar Ntathu
      March 16, 2017 - 1:20 pm | Permalink

I like the reference to Baptimal Vows. That’s a great starting point for deliberation. Nice practice for Lent.

57. Matthew of Nashville's Gravatar Matthew of Nashville
    March 16, 2017 - 10:02 am | Permalink

I voted for Melanchthon, a humble theological and educational heavyweight. The poor Tenzing Norgays of the world need some love!

58. Joyce in Madison. GA's Gravatar Joyce in Madison. GA
    March 16, 2017 - 10:07 am | Permalink

She challenged the clergy who opposed women’s rights! . Aim high, Amelia!

59. Joyce in Madison. GA's Gravatar Joyce in Madison. GA
    March 16, 2017 - 10:10 am | Permalink

She challenged the clergy who opposed women’s rights! Aim high, Amelia!

60. Colette Clark's Gravatar Colette Clark
    March 16, 2017 - 10:10 am | Permalink

Theology or women’s rights. Ugh, difficult. Since we are still working on women’s equality, I voted for theology/ Protestant Reformation.

61. Davis Dassori's Gravatar Davis Dassori
    March 16, 2017 - 10:11 am | Permalink

Today I abandon my intellectual pretensions and vote for Amelia, not for her formidable intellectual gifts but . . . yes . . . because of the pants.

One fine day, while riding my motorcycle (the modern pony) and enjoying the feeling of 175 horses between my legs, I realized that the original, fundamental purpose of forbidding women to wear trousers had to have been to prevent them from riding horses. That, until the advent of the automobile, was not only to immobilize them but to deny them access to what was both a source of actual power and a potent expression of male sexuality. The connection may be old hat to many feminists, but for me it was one of many revelations on the never-ending road to male liberation. While in googling “Bloomers” I haven’t found a statement that, like many words that have become merely descriptive, it was first used in deprecation by a male-dominated press, I strongly suspect that to have been the case.

So those are my theories and I’m sticking to ’em. They’re at least as plausible as many of the saintly stories we’ve been reading in our Madness.

• Katherine Grimes's Gravatar Katherine Grimes
      March 16, 2017 - 2:47 pm | Permalink

Women in skirts rode horses sidesaddle–much more dangerous, really. As a woman who often wears skirts, I can tell you that pants really are much less cumbersome. Remember the pants in The Color Purple?

62. Janet from Bucks County's Gravatar Janet from Bucks County
    March 16, 2017 - 10:12 am | Permalink

With Joan of Arc defeated, I just have to vote for another woman wearing pants! Thank you, Amelia!

63. Kathy in Nicaragua's Gravatar Kathy in Nicaragua
    March 16, 2017 - 10:13 am | Permalink

If we didn’t already have Martin Luther in the brackets, I would have voted for Philipp. But I would hate for Martin and Philipp to end up competing against each other! The early women struggling for equal rights were valiant and faithful, so I voted for Amelia in their honor. Not sure I consider her a saint.

• Kathy in Nicaragua's Gravatar Kathy in Nicaragua
      March 16, 2017 - 10:14 am | Permalink

I hope to see Philipp return in a future Lent Madness.

64. Barbara J. Ruhe's Gravatar Barbara J. Ruhe
    March 16, 2017 - 10:14 am | Permalink

I was torn–finally I voted for Melanchthon–it seemed appropriate as we celebrate 500 year anniversary of the Reformation and well I am German and so is he–not to mention
    he had to put up with Luther who might not have been all that easy to get along with some times–he deserves to be recognized.

65. ArtemisB's Gravatar ArtemisB
    March 16, 2017 - 10:17 am | Permalink

I sense a trend in my voting this year. I seem to vote for people bucking the system. When one sticks to one’s faith and meeting cultural expectations, but to stick to your faith and overturn the tables? Jesus was a rebel.

66. Christine Watrous's Gravatar Christine Watrous
    March 16, 2017 - 10:17 am | Permalink

My grandfather was secretary for the Temperance Union and Amelia’s writing of a newspaper earned my vote for her today. Also loved learning about “bloomers”! But most of all, a big WHOOPEE for Diana. Today’s hymn was the best so far. I had to sing it out loud!

67. Carol Buckalew's Gravatar Carol Buckalew
    March 16, 2017 - 10:19 am | Permalink

I voted for Amelia thinking about my mother. She was born in 1920 and continued the fight for equality for women in her own way (WAAC and WAC in WWII). I also voted for her because her work and influence went beyond the church and theology.

68. Carol Buckalew's Gravatar Carol Buckalew
    March 16, 2017 - 10:21 am | Permalink

I think the Lentorium needs a hymnal. Thanks, Diana, for the hymns.

69. Lucy Porter's Gravatar Lucy Porter
    March 16, 2017 - 10:25 am | Permalink

My Grandma was a suffragette, and I have great respect for Amelia Bloomer. However, I vote for Melanchthon because of his theological contributions to the Reformation. His work seems more directly related to the development of faith for all of us.

70. Mrs. B.'s Gravatar Mrs. B.
    March 16, 2017 - 10:28 am | Permalink

“A devoted Episcoplian, challenging clergy who oppose women’s rights” is a bit confusing. Agree with Ron, “a battle between social and theological issues.”

• Barbara Miles's Gravatar Barbara Miles
      March 16, 2017 - 12:30 pm | Permalink

Why is it a theological issue when men argue, but a social issue when women argue back?

• Annie Dolber's Gravatar Annie Dolber
        March 16, 2017 - 12:52 pm | Permalink

And aren’t social issues theological, anyway? “Love thy neighbor as thyself” … “Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with your God” … “Whoever has two coats, let him give to him who has not, and whoever has food should do likewise” … etc. ad inf.

71. Jerri's Gravatar Jerri
    March 16, 2017 - 10:31 am | Permalink

I voted for Amelia Bloomer she fraught for equality for women even tho that was taboo. I often wondered how women did their housework with the dress of that era. She is my hero.

72. Betsy H's Gravatar Betsy H
    March 16, 2017 - 10:35 am | Permalink

Amelia is one of our spiritual mothers–in today’s world she would be a bishop along with ++Susan Goff and ++Dee Dee Duncan-Probe. To not vote for her, even with an opponent of such stature, is unthinkable.

73. James Oppenheimer's Gravatar James Oppenheimer
    March 16, 2017 - 10:37 am | Permalink

Both of these people are amazing. What got me especially, however, was the fact that Amelia was a feminist WAAAAY before it was cool, way before it was an assured accomplishment, and it would seem that her cause was driven by a profoundly religious orientation. She worked almost alone against the juggernaut of sexism, and she advanced her cause. And then, of course, there is the Bloomers.
    I usually go for the underdog, and this lady was the underdog to the underdog.
    Don’t know that Amelia will go all the way, but it certainly would not surprise me.

• Linda Burnett's Gravatar Linda Burnett
      March 16, 2017 - 10:43 am | Permalink

The bloomers were probably a lot cooler than previous women’s fashion as well!

74. Walker Shaw's Gravatar Walker Shaw
    March 16, 2017 - 10:39 am | Permalink

Poor Philipp up against Amelia. Will some theologian ever catch a break in this face off.

75. Linda Burnett's Gravatar Linda Burnett
    March 16, 2017 - 10:42 am | Permalink

Anyone who helped make clothing more confortable for women and an Episcopalian to boot has my vote hands down. Do bloomers come in blue denim by the way?

76. Susan Maurine's Gravatar Susan Maurine
    March 16, 2017 - 10:44 am | Permalink

Ah, Amelia was ahead from the get-go. Definitely not a “late bloomer”! (Corny, I know….. )

77. JMart's Gravatar JMart
    March 16, 2017 - 10:51 am | Permalink

Well, you had me when I learned the bride chose to admit the part of her vows that cites “obey”. So forward thinking for that era.
    My vote goes to Amelia.

78. March 16, 2017 - 10:51 am | Permalink

A a feminist and a former Presbyterian (now an Episcopalian for 41 years with a Maters in Theological Studies) how can I not vote for Amelia? That, added to the fact I am distantly related to Elizabeth CADY (my maiden name) Stanton and Susan BROWNELL Anthony (my Mother’s maiden name), women rule!

• Pamela Payne's Gravatar Pamela Payne
      March 16, 2017 - 11:22 am | Permalink

Appears that you were “pre-destined” to vote as you did, Jane!

79. Rich Johnson's Gravatar Rich Johnson
    March 16, 2017 - 10:54 am | Permalink

For me this was the toughest choice so far. Both had such a great influence toward reforming religious thought among Christians.

80. Marilyn Weir's Gravatar Marilyn Weir
    March 16, 2017 - 11:01 am | Permalink

Had to vote for the woman who left out “obey her husband” in her wedding vows. You go, girl!

81. Sherre's Gravatar Sherre
    March 16, 2017 - 11:12 am | Permalink

You had me at bloomers!

82. Rose Mahan's Gravatar Rose Mahan
    March 16, 2017 - 11:13 am | Permalink

I am 80. I was a “feminist” long before many of these responding were born. I wanted equal pay for equal work — was a Ph.D college professor. But I am somewhat frustrated with the women of this age since women pretty much run our western world. Yet so many are still choosing saints because they are women! Theology trumps feminism in my choices for saints:)

• Cassandra's Gravatar Cassandra
      March 16, 2017 - 11:31 am | Permalink

Thanks, Rose; I was thinking this, too. The point of feminism–or any movement that seeks to treat an underclass as equal to those with influence–is that we should see individuals, not classes. When we are judged on our merits rather than by our group, we are truly equal.

Philipp toiled in obscurity while others took credit for his work. Sounds like . . . many women in history.

83. Ann Garvin's Gravatar Ann Garvin
    March 16, 2017 - 11:19 am | Permalink

Amelia reminds me of my grandmother who was active (bigly) in the Women’s Christian Temperance Union. I’m sure she was a fan of Amelia’s! So, #GoAmelia

84. Miss Jennifer's Gravatar Miss Jennifer
    March 16, 2017 - 11:20 am | Permalink

I don’t think Amelia Bloomer would like to be on a pint glass so I voted for the German Reformer.

• Miriam Elizabeth's Gravatar Miriam Elizabeth
      March 16, 2017 - 8:45 pm | Permalink

85. Kathy Wisconsin's Gravatar Kathy Wisconsin
    March 16, 2017 - 11:22 am | Permalink

How could we not vote for Amelia? She began a battle that still hasn’t progressed as fast as she or we would like. She is a role model for how we all should work to improve equality.

86. March 16, 2017 - 11:25 am | Permalink

Amelia – so relevant to today.

87. Emily's Gravatar Emily
    March 16, 2017 - 11:39 am | Permalink

Amelia had my vote today, though the match up was again another example of the Madness. Seneca Falls is just two towns down from my childhood home.

88. Don Welti's Gravatar Don Welti
    March 16, 2017 - 11:42 am | Permalink

For those who fault Amelia for her stance on temperance, it should be remembered just how much of a problem alcoholism was in her day. In Cincinnati, where bars vastly outnumbered churches, many wage earners, almost all men, stopped off at a bar on the way home from work, only to arrive home tipsy and broke. Their wives and children bore the brunt of the problem.

89. Brenda McHenry's Gravatar Brenda McHenry
    March 16, 2017 - 11:47 am | Permalink

Amelia benefited from living in Seneca Falls, where the women’s rights issue came to her. Lucky for us. I voted for her, despite the fact I do like folks who work behind the scenes holding up other folks.

90. St. Celia's Gravatar St. Celia
    March 16, 2017 - 11:55 am | Permalink

You had me at “right to vote,” but then you had me again at “systematic theology.” These matches are becoming impossible. She persisted . . . but then so did he. I appreciate Bloomer’s concern for alcoholism; it seems an early effort (but very 19th century, very Victorian) to address substance addiction. Today we have people dying daily of opioid addictions. If only our society took drug addiction and guns seriously; how many people couldn’t we save? These scourges are as bad as smallpox and yellow fever and typhus, surely. (And Bloomer is from Iowa? A certain congressman, no relation to ML King, should be bombarded daily with information about early feminism. It might not get him into the 21st century, but perhaps it could lift him out of the racism of the 19th century.) But I went with Melanchthon as an author of the Augsburg Confession. I need to read the Theological Commonplaces now. Melanchthon reminded me of the need to find one’s team. To do major reform and transformation, whether personal or political, you have to work together. I am reminded of the need both to transcend one’s native condition but also to “find one’s tribe.” That is, gather a team and prepare together to build some small piece of the city of God.

91. John Lewis's Gravatar John Lewis
    March 16, 2017 - 11:57 am | Permalink

Melanchthon is one of my favorite Reformation theologians, and the task of systematizing Protestant theology is the equivalent of herding cats–no wonder he came to abhor the wrangling of theologians! He also recognized the importance of education for all, something we need to be reminded of in today’s world. A true humanist, in short. But Amelia Bloomer pressed for the recognition of half God’s people in line with the church’s first great reformer, the Apostle Paul (Galatians 3:28) so forcefully that the theologians of today are still scandalized by her deeds. That, too, is the work of the Holy Spirit, which often takes surprising forms. Imagine transforming an article of clothing into a token (a sacramental?) of our unity in Christ. This is the Lord’s doing, and it is wonderful in our eyes!

92. March 16, 2017 - 11:58 am | Permalink

I’m also from Western New York and know the effects of alcohol on families, but like others did not know about her journalism efforts. Have fought for Equal Rights for most of my life. As much as I appreciate the works of Phillip, I had to vote for Amelia today.

93. Carol Schreider's Gravatar Carol Schreider
    March 16, 2017 - 12:10 pm | Permalink

The hardest choice so far. I want them both to win. They both contributed so much in times when it was difficult to do so.

94. Kit's Gravatar Kit
    March 16, 2017 - 12:11 pm | Permalink

Melanchthon’s theological works are impressive, but I really have to vote for Amelia, the 19th century’s inventor of today’s pantsuits, and a “mother” of our continuing struggle for equality for women!

95. Susan's Gravatar Susan
    March 16, 2017 - 12:28 pm | Permalink

Amelia a woman before her time. Thank God we had women like here because who knows where we would be today. I always wondered who designed the bloomers.

96. marie jones's Gravatar marie jones
    March 16, 2017 - 12:28 pm | Permalink

Need more information. . . I’ll be baaaaack. . .

97. Anne E.B.'s Gravatar Anne E.B.
    March 16, 2017 - 12:30 pm | Permalink

Go Amelia Go!

98. Anthony Lee's Gravatar Anthony Lee
    March 16, 2017 - 12:48 pm | Permalink

It’s easy to see why Bloomer is clobbering Melanchthon. I’ll usually take social activism over academic theology any time. (Interesting to see where the term “bloomers” came from.)

• Anthony Lee's Gravatar Anthony Lee
      March 16, 2017 - 12:57 pm | Permalink

However, I note that many of the people giving Bloomer her landslide are women supporting her alleged feminism. I’m not sure Bloomer would consider herself a feminist by today’s definition. But then, I’m a guy, so what do I know?

99. Martha B's Gravatar Martha B
    March 16, 2017 - 12:53 pm | Permalink

Two people equally devoted to the fulfillment of great social movements of their times. Hard choice for me. The bloomers won me over.

100. marie jones's Gravatar marie jones
    March 16, 2017 - 12:54 pm | Permalink

Okay, I’m ready now. . . still close to a ‘coin flip decision,’ but I’m going for Philip. While greatly admiring Amelia’s determination and dedication to ‘the cause,’ I’m struck that much of it was at the urging of her forward-thinking, Quaker husband, Dexter (God bless his heart!). There are LOTS of social reformers who do saintly works. . . but I’m going for the the guy who helped formulate the premises of those decisions and still was able to break with some of Luther’s divisive judgments.
    (Can the SEC make this any more convoluted?!)

101. marie jones's Gravatar marie jones
    March 16, 2017 - 12:54 pm | Permalink

(Can the SEC make this any more convoluted?!)

102. Seamus Stirling's Gravatar Seamus Stirling
    March 16, 2017 - 12:58 pm | Permalink

That low key Friends reference at the start of Melanchthon

103. Timothy Cole-French's Gravatar Timothy Cole-French
    March 16, 2017 - 12:59 pm | Permalink

I voted for Amelia because she showed the injustice that even the Church was subjected to, she worked hard and fought courageously… she is truly a great role model.

104. March 16, 2017 - 12:59 pm | Permalink

Because there are still those today who do not see women as capable and independent (I have experienced them firsthand) I voted for Amelia!

105. Odysseus's Gravatar Odysseus
    March 16, 2017 - 1:02 pm | Permalink

I voted for bloomer because she showed many people what women could be

106. March 16, 2017 - 1:02 pm | Permalink

Founder of proto-pantsuit nation…Amelia!

107. Robyn's Gravatar Robyn
    March 16, 2017 - 1:04 pm | Permalink

I have deep respect for Philip. He was the theological braintrust of the German Reformation.
    But I had to vote for the woman who wrote, ” Alas! Poor Adam, while it required all the persuasive powers and eloquence of the subtle tempter, all the promises of wisdom, and knowledge, and power to seduce the so-called “weaker vessel” from the right path, all that was necessary to secure his downfall was to simply offer him the apple.”
    Amelia has been a favourite of this snarky feminist since I read that in University.

108. Anna's Gravatar Anna
    March 16, 2017 - 1:04 pm | Permalink

I, too, had the “obey” vows taken out of our ceremony… not because I’m so much of a feminist per se… I just knew that was one we humanly wouldn’t be able to uphold, and I refused to lie to God in my wedding ceremony. Much to our nice Methodist minister’s chagrin.

109. Sally's Gravatar Sally
    March 16, 2017 - 1:05 pm | Permalink

Let’s not turn this into a battle of the sexes. Pick the most qualified, not merely voting for a man or a woman.

110. Barbara MacRobie's Gravatar Barbara MacRobie
    March 16, 2017 - 1:08 pm | Permalink

I’m an old-school feminist and admire Amelia, but Philipp is getting my vote. He’s one of those essential people who doesn’t get the history-book headlines.

Love the blogger’s introduction. “Ginger had Fred.” Yeah, I see what you did there….

Re Tenzing Norgay, it’s cool to remember that (the awesome) Edmund Hillary always referred to him as “my partner” rather than “my guide.” And when they reached the summit, Hillary took a photo of Norgay but did not have Norgay take a picture of him. I suspect that’s because Hillary knew if there were photos of both of them, the press would choose him. Instead they had to credit Norgay.

111. Laura's Gravatar Laura
    March 16, 2017 - 1:14 pm | Permalink

As a proud Rochesterian (home to Susan B. Anthony and short jaunt from Seneca Falls), I had to cast my vote for Amelia. I respect her knowledge and use of Scripture in arguing for women’s equality. I do appreciate learning about Herr Melanchthon.

112. Edwina's Gravatar Edwina
    March 16, 2017 - 1:14 pm | Permalink

Reading of Philip;s concern for education, I was thankful for his work.. but ..Amelia spoke to concerns of her time and yet still of ours today…
    Would that she could speak with the current administration!!!both present and past…

113. Meredith Hales's Gravatar Meredith Hales
    March 16, 2017 - 1:16 pm | Permalink

My mother and grandmother used to refer to women’s pants as”bloomers”. So …. Bloomers it is !

114. Elizabeth's Gravatar Elizabeth
    March 16, 2017 - 1:18 pm | Permalink

As a librarian who relies on the Amelia Bloomer Project to help bring women’s rights as human rights to the forefront, this was an easy pick.

If you were to ask me whom I’d promote? Amelia has my vote!

115. Claire's Gravatar Claire
    March 16, 2017 - 1:22 pm | Permalink

For women’s emancipation, education, equality, and comfortable clothes we give thanks! My vote goes to Amelia.

116. Carol's Gravatar Carol
    March 16, 2017 - 1:23 pm | Permalink

Ameli; she did not say “obey”, neither did I and 50 years ago, that was not common. How could I vote any other way!

117. Carol's Gravatar Carol
    March 16, 2017 - 1:24 pm | Permalink

That is Amelia…darn my arthritic hands!!

118. The Rev.Karen Crawford's Gravatar The Rev.Karen Crawford
    March 16, 2017 - 1:25 pm | Permalink

No contest here! A woman, an Episcopalian, and an Iowan. I am thankful for all the women who paved the way so that I can do what I do each day.

119. Judy A's Gravatar Judy A
    March 16, 2017 - 1:31 pm | Permalink

I voted for Amelia Bloomer, strong advocate for women and strong in faith. Also, she encountered the Fashion Police and prevailed….bloomers led to kullottes, skorts, city shorts, etc.

120. Rilla Holmes's Gravatar Rilla Holmes
    March 16, 2017 - 1:34 pm | Permalink

‘Her Christian faith was fuel for her commitment to moral and social change, and she continued to champion women’s rights, preaching that one day, God would “bring about the emancipation of women, and make her equal in the power and dominion that she was in the beginning.” ‘
    Bloomer!!

121. Michael Shea's Gravatar Michael Shea
    March 16, 2017 - 1:41 pm | Permalink

I was tempted to vote for Amelia, but the call of my Lutheran roots and loyalty to Luther were just to strong. I suspected that Amelia would come on top, but……..

122. Jane Bucci's Gravatar Jane Bucci
    March 16, 2017 - 1:43 pm | Permalink

I spent 14 years in bloomers under a a kilt in a Canadian girl’s school, and I started this journey 61 years ago as a Presbyterian. As a “newly minted” (and thrilled to be) Episcopalian, Amelia it is today!

• March 16, 2017 - 1:56 pm | Permalink

Welcome, Jane, to the Episcopal Church!
      I’m reminded of a Scottish poem about Episcopalians and Presbyterians:
      Pisky, Pisky, confessing sin,
      Down on their knees
      And up again.
      Presby, Presby, will not bend,
      But sitteth down
      On the other end.

• Barbara's Gravatar Barbara
        March 16, 2017 - 2:39 pm | Permalink

The version I used fell back on the Westminster Shorter Catechism:
        ‘Pisky, ‘Pisky, say “Amen,”
        Down on your knees and up again.
        But Presby, Presby, d’nna bend,
        But set ye down on Mans’ Chief End!

• St. Celia's Gravatar St. Celia
          March 16, 2017 - 3:06 pm | Permalink

And Cathy, Cathy, saints in heaven,
          Eat the body, but the wine don’t lend.

• March 16, 2017 - 5:12 pm | Permalink

Barbara,
          Your version is even better!

Hi, Celia!

123. Patty Park's Gravatar Patty Park
    March 16, 2017 - 1:49 pm | Permalink

This was tough, they both spoke truth to power, but Amelia wins out!

124. David Bains's Gravatar David Bains
    March 16, 2017 - 2:22 pm | Permalink

Vote for Melanchthon! I did! He’s a scholar’s scholar and did much to try to unite Protestants.

125. March 16, 2017 - 2:36 pm | Permalink

This is a complete no-brainer for me. A woman who spoke up for women versus a man’s who view of the Eucharist was akin to a remembrance the way a tombstone is a remembrance? Amelia it is!!

126. March 16, 2017 - 2:39 pm | Permalink

I voted for Melanchthon for his work as a collaborator with Luther. He was part of a team and supported Luther. In appreciation for all the people who support me in my work and my causes, I vote for Melanchthon!

127. Dawna quittmeyer's Gravatar Dawna quittmeyer
    March 16, 2017 - 2:47 pm | Permalink

I went with the underdog less-known saint in the shadows. I love bloomer don’t get me wrong.

128. Gail Adams's Gravatar Gail Adams
    March 16, 2017 - 3:00 pm | Permalink

Phillip!!! He has been neglected too long. Besides, Amelia was one of those Temperance ladies (read prohibition, and we know haw well that turned out).

129. Amelia Hagen's Gravatar Amelia Hagen
    March 16, 2017 - 3:05 pm | Permalink

I must vote for Amelia. Broke my Facebook fast. Having a great time in Morocco.

130. andrea's Gravatar andrea
    March 16, 2017 - 3:33 pm | Permalink

Amelia. Bloomers and pants. Her stance on women’s fashion and rights.

131. Beth's Gravatar Beth
    March 16, 2017 - 3:40 pm | Permalink

(I loved the comment the “The Lily bloomed…” Thank you, Laurie Brock!)
    Amelia Bloomer has my admiration and my vote. Yes, women have come a long way since her time. Amelia planted the seeds of the need for equality for women. Still, it is way overdo that those seeds should bear fruit, e.g., equal pay for equal responsibility. In many (the majority?) of governments and churches today, “women were [and still are] not seen as independent, capable citizens in the eyes of the government or the Church.” We need more women like Amelia today!

132. Judy F. N.'s Gravatar Judy F. N.
    March 16, 2017 - 3:41 pm | Permalink

Amelia was my pick for so many reasons that were previously stated. We need Amelias today more than ever!! Also I would love a mug with her on it!!!

133. Allison Askins's Gravatar Allison Askins
    March 16, 2017 - 3:55 pm | Permalink

Nevertheless, she persisted. Go, Amelia!

134. Jane Wacaster's Gravatar Jane Wacaster
    March 16, 2017 - 4:00 pm | Permalink

My father, born in 1913, was named for Phillip Melancthon, so there is my vote

135. Peg S.'s Gravatar Peg S.
    March 16, 2017 - 4:01 pm | Permalink

She’s beating the pants off him.

136. Dutton in Madison, GA's Gravatar Dutton in Madison, GA
    March 16, 2017 - 4:05 pm | Permalink

Bloomer all the way! A trailblazer for women and an inspiration to all.

137. Deb's Gravatar Deb
    March 16, 2017 - 4:15 pm | Permalink

In the year of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation – Melanchthon.

138. Fiona's Gravatar Fiona
    March 16, 2017 - 4:18 pm | Permalink

I had to vote for the formidable Amelia Bloomer after reading about her today. Having never heard of her before, I am delighted to discover the origin of bloomers. I wonder what she would make of the mess the C of E is currently in regarding the ministry of women priests and those with responsibility for their cure of souls.

139. Ken Albrecht's Gravatar Ken Albrecht
    March 16, 2017 - 4:18 pm | Permalink

One of the things I like most about Lenten Madness is the introduction of saints about whom I am ignorant. I voted fro Amelia, a woman who would not sit down and remain quiet. Way to go Amelia!

140. Tim Seitz-Brown's Gravatar Tim Seitz-Brown
    March 16, 2017 - 4:45 pm | Permalink

Yes, I treasure Philipp– his theology, his temperament, his witness. I’m a Lutheran after all!

And, I count Amelia as doing real theological work, having the temperament needed to live her call, and her witness for the amazing giftedness of women is not to be taken lightly!

I love them both.

I selected Amelia.

141. Kate Cabot's Gravatar Kate Cabot
    March 16, 2017 - 4:55 pm | Permalink

I think that the recently vanquished St. Joan is fighting for Amelia’s side this time!

142. Celia Cole's Gravatar Celia Cole
    March 16, 2017 - 5:00 pm | Permalink

Aw. I’d love to have seen this vote a little closer! But, I have to think Amelia had more influence on me Than even Philipp. To have known, deep in her being, that women were to be seen as equal partners, and to know her theology well enough to defend against the men determined to preach her into submission. Oh, Amelia! You influenced my young Gramma to rebel against her father and have her hair bobbed, while maintaining her determined belief in God. And, I am definitely her granddaughter and my mother’s daughter. Dear Lord, help us to continue to work for the value and worth of all your Creation.

143. Mary Lou Creamer's Gravatar Mary Lou Creamer
    March 16, 2017 - 5:05 pm | Permalink

It wasn’t hard for this journalist to imagine those male chauvinists snickering at “The Lilly.” You can bet they were eating crow later on. Definitely a woman ahead of her time. Go Amelia!

144. Diane's Gravatar Diane
    March 16, 2017 - 5:10 pm | Permalink

I’m an Iowa woman, wearing my Iowa Women’s March shirt, so of course I voted for Ms. Bloomer. As others have said today, she persisted.

145. March 16, 2017 - 5:13 pm | Permalink

Voted for Melanchthon as the patron saint of sidekicks and second bananas. As well, he tried to act as a tempering influence on the frequently hotheaded Luther.

Also admire Ms. B., although I have a concern re the 19th c. temperance movement in the US. In their advocacy of abstinence (rather than intelligent drinking) as the sole alternative to problem drinking, I think they – in the long run – have contributed much to the problematic drinking culture that is found in most English-speaking countries.

146. Hillary's Gravatar Hillary
    March 16, 2017 - 5:24 pm | Permalink

Coming from a journalism family with a mother who wrote the “society” column for the weekly newspaper, Amelia gets my vote for sure!

I love the part about not obeying her husband in the vows. You rock Amelia!

147. Corban's Gravatar Corban
    March 16, 2017 - 5:58 pm | Permalink

I’ve been trying to vote consistently for people who had a direct impact on the Episcopal Church (or Anglicanism overall). Today’s match-up is a difficult one for me. Though Amelia was an Episcopalian who challenged theologians with low opinions of women, Philipp was involved in Luther’s Reformation, which in turn directed the course of our Anglican ancestors’ English Reformation. Who had a greater worldwide impact? Philipp. Who would I agree with theologically? Amelia, seeing as Philipp was a Lutheran.

148. Anne Beckett's Gravatar Anne Beckett
    March 16, 2017 - 6:02 pm | Permalink

I think social justice is at the heart of a compassionate theology, so Amelia gets my vote.

149. Izzie's Gravatar Izzie
    March 16, 2017 - 6:11 pm | Permalink

I went with Philip because well it is not always fun to be someone’s shadow. And from previous votes I can guess Amelia is going to win.

150. mshenna's Gravatar mshenna
    March 16, 2017 - 6:58 pm | Permalink

“You shall be delivered from sins, and be freed from the acrimony and fury of theologians” — best exit line ever from a theologian. Philipp it is (besides, I like an underdog).

151. Pam's Gravatar Pam
    March 16, 2017 - 7:32 pm | Permalink

I’m going for the pink pussy lady!

152. Max Krumbach's Gravatar Max Krumbach
    March 16, 2017 - 7:32 pm | Permalink

Philipp Melanchthon is the Praeceptor Germaniae, the teacher of Europe, highly appreciated even by those who objected reformation and he was the permanent facilitator or meditator of the protestant tendencies. In this troubled world we need committed Christians like him.

153. Zoey - 6 years old's Gravatar Zoey - 6 years old
    March 16, 2017 - 7:55 pm | Permalink

I like Amelia because she wanted us to be able to move. I like to move at gym class especially.

154. March 16, 2017 - 8:00 pm | Permalink

I appreciate Amelia… a strong voice and heart, but Philip’s voice reached out to free and release a larger constituency… all, male and female alike, in the measure of time… so it’s Melanchthon for me today

155. March 16, 2017 - 9:25 pm | Permalink

I am reaping so many benefits from Amelia how can I not vote for her? She also endeared herself to me because like her I took the obey out of my marriage ceremony.

156. Jane Pedler's Gravatar Jane Pedler
    March 16, 2017 - 10:53 pm | Permalink

Well, I had a feeling I was going for the underdog this time; I was right. Philip got trounced, Amelia won! Was going to vote for her, for all she did for equality, and her being a good soul, but chose Philip because he was obviously genius, who put his great intellect into reform, and because Luther had such respect for him and friendship with him. I love my Lutheran church and agree with their teachings.

157. March 17, 2017 - 12:06 am | Permalink

So we have one of the great minds of the Reformation up against an American social reformer who might have had a spiritual life and invented bloomers. Easy choice for me, Philipp. I’m not going to be a sexist.

158. Lauren's Gravatar Lauren
    March 17, 2017 - 12:21 am | Permalink

Had to vote for Melanchthon as my great great grandfather whose name was Melanchthon Hoyt established 51 Episcopal parishes mostly in the Dakotas and was regarded as the Father of the Episcopal church in Dakota. Great name for great men.

159. William Loring's Gravatar William Loring
    March 17, 2017 - 1:01 am | Permalink

Melancthon because Luther won his round and needs Philip to restrain him.

• St. Celia's Gravatar St. Celia
      March 17, 2017 - 1:08 am | Permalink

“habe gern”

160. Amy's Gravatar Amy
    March 17, 2017 - 1:27 am | Permalink

I had to vote for Amelia in these days when some are still telling us to sit down and shut up. She did indeed persist

161. Diane E. Lynch's Gravatar Diane E. Lynch