Happy All Brackets’ Day!

Following the heady days of Nominationtide, and the submission of hundreds of saintly nominations from the Lent Madness faithful, the Supreme Executive Committee is pleased to release the highly anticipated 2022 Lent Madness bracket. Following their Spring Retreat, held in a socially-distanced, secure, undisclosed Zoom room, amid the consumption of massive amounts of single origin black coffee, Tim and Scott whittled the field to 32 saints, who will compete for the coveted Golden Halo.

This year’s bracket is broken up into four themed quadrants — Martyrs & Mystics, Theologians & Thinkers, Healers & Helpers, and the ever popular Confusion Corner, which debuted last year. While you may have many favorites among the contestants, there does not appear to be a runaway favorite in this year’s contest. Which means it’s anybody’s bracket to win! Well, you have to be in the bracket. And dead. And a saint…

But enough of this yakking. Let’s get to the 2022 bracket!

As a reminder, or if you’re new to this wacky online devotion, you can learn how it all works by clicking here.

Unlike professional and collegiate sporting events, there is no admission cost for Lent Madness, but souvenirs and study aids are available in the Lentorium. Or they will be — we’ll keep you posted — as even the Supreme Executive Committee is not immune to supply chain issues. This will include The Saintly Scorecard: The Official Guide to Lent Madness 2022 (order as single copies or in discounted 10-packs) and giant Bracket Posters. All of which are AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER NOW! And will ship in January.

The good news is, Scorecards and Posters (did we mention you can pre-order now? Seriously, they always sell out) will be ready in plenty of time for Lent. And if you’re marking your calendar, Lent Madness begins on Ash Thursday, March 3.

We’re pleased to welcome eleven “celebrity bloggers” from across the country to write for Lent Madness 2022: the Rev. Amber Belldene of San Francisco, CA; the Rev. Laurie Brock of Lexington, KY; Anna Fitch Courie of Columbia, SC; Dr. David Creech of Moorhead, MN; the Rev. Megan Castellan of Ithaca, NY; Neva Rae Fox of Somerville, NJ; the Rev. David Hansen of Woodlands, TX; Emily McFarlan Miller of Chicago, IL; Miriam McKenney of Cincinnati, OH; the Rev. David Sibley of Walla Walla, WA, and the Rev. Eva Suarez of New York, NY. Information about each of the celebrity bloggers and the rest of the team is available on the Lent Madness website.

In the meantime, start choosing your favorite saints and…Happy Lent!

60 Comments to "Happy All Brackets’ Day!"

1. Julianne Ture's Gravatar Julianne Ture
    November 3, 2021 - 8:07 am | Permalink

Juliana of Liège all the way! Not only because we share a name but also because she championed the Feast of Corpus Christi. If not Juliana, then Mesrop Mashtots, who has the best name ever.

• Gwen's Gravatar Gwen
      November 3, 2021 - 8:18 am | Permalink

Plus she is from Belgium!

2. Sarah SSM's Gravatar Sarah SSM
    November 3, 2021 - 8:27 am | Permalink

Bishop Holly for the win! Haiti needs something good to happen right about now.

3. Melanie's Gravatar Melanie
    November 3, 2021 - 8:42 am | Permalink

Felix vs. Oscar? Seriously? (No, not seriously.)

Also, the Archangel Gabriel should be disqualified on a technicality. I look forward to voting for the human being who opposes him in any round.

• Susan Titus's Gravatar Susan Titus
      November 3, 2021 - 9:31 am | Permalink

I see your point – he has a halo already. But as he is our patron (St. Gabriel’s, Marion, MA) I am behind him all the way. Who cannot treasure the herald of such great joy?

• The Rev. Elizabeth Marian Maxwell Chace's Gravatar The Rev. Elizabeth Marian Maxwell Chace
        November 3, 2021 - 9:49 am | Permalink

HI, Sue! I am with you having grown up at St. Gabriel’s!

• Melanie's Gravatar Melanie
        November 3, 2021 - 9:53 am | Permalink

“For the saints of God are just folk like me, and I mean to be one, too.”

• Julianne Ture's Gravatar Julianne Ture
        November 4, 2021 - 5:09 pm | Permalink

Say hello to Fr. Eric from me!

• Jan Robitscher's Gravatar Jan Robitscher
      November 3, 2021 - 11:05 am | Permalink

Yes, Angles are a different order of being than people. Much as I love Gabriel,
      I’ll vote for the real person.

4. Sunderland Em's Gravatar Sunderland Em
    November 3, 2021 - 8:45 am | Permalink

Melania vs Hilary? Felix vs Oscar?
    You’ve outdone yourselves…gonna be a fascinating Lent!

• Hugh's Gravatar Hugh
      November 3, 2021 - 3:05 pm | Permalink

Nobody has mentioned Aloysius of Gonzaga vs Thomas of Villanova. What, aren’t there any college basketball fans here?

Also, I think I nominated Hugh of Lincoln for years and he was never chosen. Then this year I didn’t — and naturally he was picked! (Or maybe it was Hugh of Cluny, who was picked recently).

5. Anne's Gravatar Anne
    November 3, 2021 - 8:45 am | Permalink

Yes! Hugh of Lincoln is finally in the bracket! Go Hugh!

6. Susan C Mattingly's Gravatar Susan C Mattingly
    November 3, 2021 - 8:45 am | Permalink

Tried to pre-order a 10 package of booklets and a large bracket poster. The order site would not allow me to do so. What’s up ?

• Elaine Culver's Gravatar Elaine Culver
      November 3, 2021 - 8:59 am | Permalink

I tried to order a packet of 10 books and had the same experience. The website said, “item removed,” even though I had just tired to order it. Please check software. Thanks!

• November 3, 2021 - 11:34 am | Permalink

Should be working now. Sorry for the hiccup. We blame, as with everything, supply chain issues.

• JACQUELYN FERTICK's Gravatar JACQUELYN FERTICK
        November 3, 2021 - 2:21 pm | Permalink

Or maybe too much coffee

7. Sue Harris's Gravatar Sue Harris
    November 3, 2021 - 8:49 am | Permalink

Go Hugh of Lincoln. Go Hilda of Whitby. There, that’s the end of their chances!

8. Jeff Downey's Gravatar Jeff Downey
    November 3, 2021 - 9:19 am | Permalink

I’m rooting for Teresa of Avila. She’s been here twice before. This might be her year. “Let nothing disturb you”.

• Pamela Duncan's Gravatar Pamela Duncan
      November 4, 2021 - 12:57 pm | Permalink

I’m with you Jeff! The interior Castle – all the way 😉

9. Melissa's Gravatar Melissa
    November 3, 2021 - 9:26 am | Permalink

I am already rooting for Sor Juana de la Cruz: “poet, dramatist, scholar, and nun, an outstanding writer of the Latin American colonial period and of the Hispanic Baroque.”
    My preferred runner up is Kateri Takawitha, the Lily of the Mohawks– because it is so important to relearn the history with Indigenous people at the center. If we find her story disturbing, it is a call for repentance and reorientation!

10. Thomas Van Bruntbecarefulfornothing@gmail.comThomas Van Brunt's Gravatar Thomas Van Bruntbecarefulfornothing@gmail.comThomas Van Brunt
    November 3, 2021 - 9:58 am | Permalink

For those of us Lent Madhatters who are blind it would be good if you could post the bracket in form which voice over computers can read. All I can get is a pdf that says Lent madness bracket.. How about a lit with the pairings indicated. Tom Van Brunt

11. Mark Young's Gravatar Mark Young
    November 3, 2021 - 10:10 am | Permalink

Wenceslaus vs Stephen? That will be an earworm all day.

12. Debra Southworth's Gravatar Debra Southworth
    November 3, 2021 - 10:16 am | Permalink

Gosh was I ever happy to get a little LentMadness in my inbox today. I need it!!!!!

13. Peg S.'s Gravatar Peg S.
    November 3, 2021 - 10:25 am | Permalink

Ah, Lydia….

• Rhee Howard's Gravatar Rhee Howard
      November 3, 2021 - 1:38 pm | Permalink

LOVE <3

14. John Leovy's Gravatar John Leovy
    November 3, 2021 - 10:25 am | Permalink

Everyone who wears shoes should vote for St. Crispin

15. Mercy Hobbs's Gravatar Mercy Hobbs
    November 3, 2021 - 11:11 am | Permalink

I’m rooting for the Odd Couple! Even though I can only vote for one, it’ll be touch to decide between Felix and Oscar!

16. Katrina Soto's Gravatar Katrina Soto
    November 3, 2021 - 11:29 am | Permalink

Ah! Clearly I am going to be learning about many heretofore unknown to me saints. Let the blogging begin. And thank you, dear bloggers, for your diligent, and dare I say, saintly, work.

17. Cecile Torbergsen's Gravatar Cecile Torbergsen
    November 3, 2021 - 11:37 am | Permalink

Cecilia, of course, because of the need of more music in our lives!

18. simple village priest's Gravatar simple village priest
    November 3, 2021 - 11:38 am | Permalink

This is going to be fun! Something to look forward to on this cold November day.
    Emma of Hawaii for the win!

19. Gena Gilliam's Gravatar Gena Gilliam
    November 3, 2021 - 11:53 am | Permalink

My kids are taught by the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia here in Nashville, so that’s obviously the default, but this is a difficult bracket. So many holy choices!

• Sharon Murphy's Gravatar Sharon Murphy
      November 3, 2021 - 1:24 pm | Permalink

Gena, I agree with you and Cecile. We need more music in our lives, and I went to St. Cecilia’s in the 60s. Glad she made it into the bracket! Go SCA!

20. Cathy Koch's Gravatar Cathy Koch
    November 3, 2021 - 12:16 pm | Permalink

Loved the fun video of “Lydia” and the Marx Brothers!
    Made my day. These are great choices. Makes me look forward to Lent every year!

21. Sandy's Gravatar Sandy