The Supreme Executive Committee of Lent Madness wishes everyone a most blessed season of Nominationtide! For the next week, we will accept saintly nominations for Lent Madness 2019. This holy season will run from Monday, April 23, at 8:00 am Eastern Time and conclude on Monday, April 30 at 8:00 am.
As we highlighted in a recent post, there are several Pharisaic rules and regulations in place to successfully nominate a saint. For easy reference, we are reprinting them here:
- The nominee must, in fact, be dead.
- The nominee must be on the official calendar of saintly commemorations of some church.
- We will accept only one nominee per person.*
- You must tell us WHY you are nominating the one person that you enter.*
- Your deceased pet, as wonderful as she or he may have been, is not eligible.
- The ONLY way to nominate a saint will be to leave a comment on this post.
- That means comments left on Facebook or Twitter don’t count.
- Scott and Tim may or may not be open to bribes.
* This is a new guideline as the SEC has received huge lists from individuals in the past.
Based on long-standing and byzantine criteria, certain saints are ineligible. See below to insure you don’t waste your precious nomination. Oh, and Jesus and Mary are never eligible. Obviously.
The Saints of Lent Madness 2018 (all ineligible)
John the Evangelist
Anna the Prophet
Michael the Archangel
John of Beverley
Martin de Porres
Gertrude of Nivelles
Thomas à Kempis
Seraphim of Sarov
Isidore the Farmer
Phocas the Gardener
Katharina von Bora
Mary of Egypt
Margaret of Scotland
Past Golden Halo Winners (ineligible)
George Herbert, C.S. Lewis, Mary Magdalene, Frances Perkins, Charles Wesley, Francis of Assisi, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Florence Nightingale, Anna Alexander
From 2015 to 2017 (ineligible)
Augustine of Canterbury
Julian of Norwich
As you contemplate your nomination, you may want to take a moment to visit the Lentorium and order your Anna Alexander 2018 Golden Halo winner mug or purple Lent Madness travel mug. Both mugs are new, and they’ll be shipping out very soon.
And remember, nominations are now like voting: just one per person. Let the Nominations for Lent Madness 2019 start rolling in!